Similar data on digital ID
Sharing our program
On this webpage you will discover our system for the know-how and criteria we are commencing with for digital ID in Ontario. They will guide our electronic ID initiatives each internally and in just the digital ID ecosystem.
This program is a beginning place and an possibility to established the original way for the province, partners and innovators. We are sharing it to display our initial route and intent, and to have interaction with and put together the marketplace early in the course of action.
For now, the information on this page is geared toward individuals who will produce products in the Ontario ecosystem. Far more available information about electronic ID technologies will be available in this article as the application matures and we proceed to make improvements to and update the web site.
Ontario’s Digital ID will be able to function at “internet scale” (securely, reliably, at significant volumes, globally) and give consumers a straightforward, frictionless knowledge.
Ontario’s Electronic ID will:
- comply with government and market specifications, frameworks and rules such as:
- align with rising know-how standards
- be flexible and allow for us to pivot as expectations evolve
- aid a frictionless and equitable user knowledge
- be interoperable and designed to align and function with other Canadian jurisdictions
- use open-resource remedies where ever achievable even though contributing what we have figured out and made with the electronic id local community
- use open standards and inspire non-public-sector sector innovation
Self-sovereign id have confidence in product
Ontario’s Electronic ID will use self-sovereign id mainly because it gives the holder control in excess of the qualifications in their wallet. In addition, we are layering on these excess privacy-preserving characteristics:
- Consent – The verifier ought to request you to approve their request to ensure your credentials.
- Details minimization – The verifier can only access what they will need to affirm you are qualified for their service. For instance, if you require to demonstrate that you are old ample to purchase a lottery ticket, the shop clerk would only know that you are 18 or older – not your precise age, start day or anything at all else about you.
- Anonymity – Your credentials are not tracked or traced.
Info minimization and anonymity are enabled by zero-expertise proofs, whereby a verifier can show that they’ve confirmed a specified matter about you without the need of really realizing that matter.
Our technologies roadmap
We are creating the basis of Ontario’s Electronic ID across 4 major functionality locations, together with:
Confirms identification info is correct and valid
“I use details from my existing bodily ID cards through on the web transactions”
Confirms the rightful owner of the id knowledge is resent
“On-line transactions use picture matching and other systems to verify I am who I say I am”
Digital proof of identification is verified for integrity and validity
“My electronic wallet retains secure, transportable and reusable id information that can be confirmed in real time each on the net and in genuine existence”
Ecosystems and platforms
Connections to the two inside federal government and external non-public-sector info resources to validate identification information
“I gain from popular expectations and connected methods that make it even a lot easier for me to verify who I am online and in individual for numerous works by using”
The verification procedure
The verifiable credential model ensures have faith in during the method.
Initially, the holder requests a digital ID and goes by means of an ID proofing approach to build their id. Once the ID needs are satisfied, the issuer will build a digital ID credential, situation it to the holder and publish the community cryptographic keys associated with that electronic ID to the verifiable details registry, which makes use of distributed ledger technological innovation.
When the holder would like to use their electronic ID (for example to prove their age at the liquor retail outlet), they might tap or scan their electronic ID on the verifier’s reader to existing (with their consent) the expected id info. This interaction triggers a ask for to the verifiable facts registry to retrieve the Ontario government’s public essential, which confirms that the holder’s offered credential is exact and hasn’t been tampered with.
Verifiable credentials benchmarks
Verifiable qualifications are the basis of digital ID. Ontario’s Digital ID will be based mostly on know-how criteria from:
These are the technological know-how standards that we are presently contemplating.
OIDC – OpenID Basis
Why Computer Science Classes Should Double Down on AI and Data Science
Physicists develop a new quantum computer that uses full range of atoms
“Lost” Apple computer prototype goes on the auction block